Thursday 23 February 2012

Stephen Shore


Stephen Shore: 

Stephen Shore is an American photographer, born in 1947. Shore began his photography career using a 35mm camera and then moved on to a 4 x 5 and then to an 8 x 10 format.  He produced a book in 1982 entitled 'Uncommon Places' which was considered a bible for photographers looking to shoot in colour. "What I wanted to do was to keep a visual diary of the trip and started photographing every person I met, the beds I slept in, the toilets I used, art on walls, every meal I ate, store windows, residential buildings, commercial buildings, main streets and then anything else that came my way and that became the framework for that series."Up until this point in history only black and white images were taken seriously. Many well respected photographers have credited Shore with introducing them to the beauty of colour photography.
In 1971, at the age of 23, he became the first living photographer to have a one- man show at the Metropolitan Museum of Art. He is interested in the clear and focused attention because photography gives a sense of time being compressed because it would take several minutes for a person to see a certain scene.
I chose to include the image ‘U.S. 97, South of Klamath Falls, Oregon, July 21, 1973’ as an example of his work because I like the framing of the image and the way that it shows a landscape within a landscape.
Bibliography:

No comments:

Post a Comment